What did you do with your NC30/35 today?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R
Re: What did you do with your NC30/35 today?

Post by speedy231278 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Didn't do anything today, but on Friday I decided to have a quick tinker with the rear brake as it seemed to be a tad sticky and typically the MOT is being done next week. It's got about the same amount of stopping power as normal (not much, but passes MOTs) however I have recently noticed that it seems to drag immediately after being applied. Not enough to stop you wheeling the bike about, but it does make it noticably more effort.

Upon removing the caliper I found the pistons to be manky as normal. Planning to expel them a few more mm, clean up, and push back in, I gave the brake pedal a gentle push after removing the pads. Nothing happened. I gave a much harder shove, and one of the pistons decided to move a little, and I then managed to get it to move a bit more. I put the pads back in to stop it coming out too far, and to transfer most of the effort to the other piston. After a fairly significant amount of effort, it finally decided to start moving. I then cleaned both up as best as possible, and went to push them back in. After about 20 mins of heaving and swearing, having opened the reservoir and even the bleed nipple, I was nowhere. The buggers simply wouldn't shift. Eventually I managed to find a decent g-clamp to push them back in and got everything back together. Flushed the old fluid out and bled it back up. Still drags, but the pedal at least has a little more travel before going solid. I think it's probably going to get at very least an advisory or quite possibly a fail. So, new nipple, seals and pistons ordered from DSS (about £60 :s) which will be taken with me. Seeing as new hoops are being fitted, I'm hoping that the workshop won't mind heaving the pistons out because I have no compressed air, nor any suitable pullers to get them out, and I don't want to risk damaging the caliper....

jetblack
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 SEED

Post by jetblack » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:55 pm

I went for a really great ride today. Went along some roads i've not riden since last year and it was nice to see how much faster/smother i've become on them in that time.
Weather was great, everything was just flowing, corner speeds were good and bike ran perfect.
Moments like these is why I love biking.
It don't matter if i'm fixin' it or ridin' it.

xivlia wrote:sorry about that whole thing jetblack, i just got confused about the whole thing, and i didnt mean any disrespect to you.

Delboy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Delboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Well this afternoon I gave mine a good clean/polish drank lots of beer got a tan and had a bbq...
4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY 2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL

lutorm
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, NC30

Post by lutorm » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Well, on about that day you posted this I took the clutch cover off to take the clutch apart to try to figure out why the clutch is so (*@#$@(* heavy... and was quickly stumped by the clutch nut. I even got some steel pipe that I cut out to make the tool necessary, but sheared the tabs right off when I tried to get the nut off. So now it's sitting waiting for the ebay order to come in...

I also ordered a Tyga original-style upper fairing to replace the decidedly non-original style one that it has now. Not because I suddenly developed an intense aversion to the fairing (I've had that all along... ;) ), but because there's no f.ing way I'm getting that crap-ass Thai headlight with integrated turn signals through the Hawaii safety inspection. So I need to get it back to OG style.. which I like better anyway.

Maybe one day I'll even get to take it up into the mountains...

JC120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 NC35 RC30 RC45 MC22 NXA

Post by JC120 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 am

lutorm, if you ever need it, I have Snap-on metric sockets and a several impact wrenches that might make it easier.
V4ia addict

lutorm
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23, NC30

Post by lutorm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 am

JC120 wrote:lutorm, if you ever need it, I have Snap-on metric sockets and a several impact wrenches that might make it easier.
Yeah, I just realized I should have asked you if you had one of those castellated nut tools. My immediate feeling is always that I'm on my own when it comes to servicing these guys... ;)

shaneo
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZX7r Tracky, RVF400

Post by shaneo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 am

replaced brake pads, dash globes, carby clean, new plus, new airfilter, new oil, new oil filter. replaced oil in forks and reset preload on shock.

then washed and polished. productive day.

jo
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by jo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:26 pm

At the weekend, I decided to break open the pack of Plastex I have had sitting around for a couple of weeks, and get the lower panels repaired after it fell over in the wind. MOT runs out this weekend, so next week she'll be getting new brake pads, brake overhaul and a lovely new shiny MOT certificate :)

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R

Post by speedy231278 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:30 am

Friday - took down rear caliper, removed pads, slider, pistons, seals and nipple. Cleaned seal grooves as best as possible (they're far from perfect, however I think next time a 'new' caliper will be order of the day as it's a little tired), new seals, new pistons, new nipple, new pads. New fluid, and flushed a shedload through while bleeding to ensure the old stuff was all gone. Went for a short ride to ensure all was well. Discovered that what I thought was dragging and not dragging with the old seals was in fact dragging shitloads and dragging a bit less as the bike now seems to weigh half as much when pushing as before when not feeling seized and a quarter of that when it was! Job time was 1 1/2 hours, and most of that was trying to get as much white ally corrosion out as I could. So I made it to the pub... :-)

Sat - MOT at 9am, plus new tyres. Tyres fitted after MOT, so I got a single advisory, which was for the rear tyre being heavily worn. So after being looked after completely by myself in the last two and a bit years, I've had a single advisory over two MOTs, and it was for something I was having sorted anyway. Not bad for a hairy bloke with poor organisation... lol Then, a few hours later, off to Hastings to watch a display on the seafront by Vulcan XH558. Nice ride mainly on the A272 to bed the tyres in, and I only got lost once or twice due to and accident and the diversion it caused. After that, up the A21 and along the A25 to Westerham to blag a mate's sofa. Couple of pints of General Wolfe in the General Wolfe.

Sunday - Westerham to Sarfend to see Vulcan XL426 at their open day. Had a cockpit tour, and I also managed to get a ticket to be in the cockpit when they powered up the electrics and hydraulics to show the rest of the punters her flappy bits waggling. Left Southend to go back to Sussex, and despite being very good and not breaking any speed limits anywhere in Essex or Kent, a plethora of 50 limits with cameras everywhere both sides of the Thames, including the million miles of central reservation barrier work with a 50 limit around Clacket Lane, I got back in a bit under an hour and half, which was an hour less than I expected, and 25 mins less than Google Maps predicted! No bike issues, although as usual warm weather has brought back the annoying flat spot at 6k when you roll on/off the throttle. Not much of an issue unless you are doing 50-ish mph, which of course I was for what seemed like 99% of the bloody time!

djcmx49
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400, CBR600RR

Post by djcmx49 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am

Took the baby VFR out on expressway for 1hr trip down the 401 on fri/sat. Cruised along at 120km :smile: for the most part...just amazes me how smooth the V4 is above 8000rpm and still cant feel any tingle or vibration on hands & feet at all... :grin: Honda V4 Rules !!!!