Super Four Engine Noise

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Dominic NC31
Settled in member
Reactions:
Super Four Engine Noise

Post by Dominic NC31 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 pm

I use a NC31 which belongs to a friend but I take care of it while he is away. However it is very noisey with a rattling sound from the engine as it idles. Someone said its the cam chain tensioner. How can I tighten this without having to disassemble the engine or going to a shop. I am in Thailand and as a foreigner that can be expensive and language issues as well. The bike works fine otherwise. Any advice is welcomed. Also can someone give me a link to a free download of a worksop manual. The bike is a 1992 CB400 Super Four

tomigun
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: HondaCB400sf version R
Re: Super Four Engine Noise

Post by tomigun » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Dominic NC31 wrote:I use a NC31 which belongs to a friend but I take care of it while he is away. However it is very noisey with a rattling sound from the engine as it idles. Someone said its the cam chain tensioner. How can I tighten this without having to disassemble the engine or going to a shop. I am in Thailand and as a foreigner that can be expensive and language issues as well. The bike works fine otherwise. Any advice is welcomed. Also can someone give me a link to a free download of a worksop manual. The bike is a 1992 CB400 Super Four
Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ave961nl6q41kbr

Dominic NC31
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Dominic NC31 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:38 am

Thank you for the link

Cheers

untonyto
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1992 CB400 NC31

Post by untonyto » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:04 am

tomigun wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 pm
Dominic NC31 wrote:I use a NC31 which belongs to a friend but I take care of it while he is away. However it is very noisey with a rattling sound from the engine as it idles. Someone said its the cam chain tensioner. How can I tighten this without having to disassemble the engine or going to a shop. I am in Thailand and as a foreigner that can be expensive and language issues as well. The bike works fine otherwise. Any advice is welcomed. Also can someone give me a link to a free download of a worksop manual. The bike is a 1992 CB400 Super Four
Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ave961nl6q41kbr
Hey thanks man I have scoured the internet for this

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 am

You won't be able to tighten/repair the tensioner, once they are worn they need replacing. Be sure that the cam timing hasn't jumped before going back on the road (check the manual). A very rough check is to turn it over by hand w/out the plugs in, but you should check the alignment marks on the crank and cams.