The NC30 & 35 tyre thread

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Ozzibiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VTR250 / VFR400
Re: The NC30 & 35 tyre thread

Post by Ozzibiker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:16 am

I'm in Japan and got a new set of Bridgestone BT-090 fitted 18". So the tyres are still around.
Maybe not easy to get to Europe though.

Now I'm having trouble getting brake pads.

burtonbiker
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by burtonbiker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Can anyone please suggest which sticky road legals I should fit on my NC35 ?
I was very happy with the cheapo Dunlop (GP80's??), also with the Michelin Pilot Race that were around 15 or so years ago.
Currently using some very old Metzelers that need binning.
I just want to do a few miles on the road and stay upright at a couple of track days.
Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

newtothis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: YZF R125, RVF400, Morini 3 1/2

Post by newtothis » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Mine came with BT003RS on it but they are so soft that the centres wear just shoving the bike out of the garage! I'm going to keep them for track days and put S20's on the new rims as soon as they're back from the powder coaters. Will update my experience here once they're on.

burtonbiker
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by burtonbiker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for your reply newtothis. Decided to get the S20's online but couldn't work out whether I needed 'Evo' or 'Sport'. Then discovered that the BT90's are still available, although perhaps not for much longer. Decided to order the BT90's via a bike shop if they could match the price within £20 and bless 'em - they quoted cheaper than getting online. So got tyres and MOT today :) but one cyl is missing ): So straight home instead of scrubbing in new boots and going for a blast. Now contemplating the deep joy of removing the carbs.... Looking forward to hearing your report on the S20's (and please let me know if you choose Evo or Sport - can anyone please explain the difference for my benefit - thanks!)

newtothis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: YZF R125, RVF400, Morini 3 1/2

Post by newtothis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 pm

The Evo is the newer version, according to the blurb it's slightly more track focussed than the Sport but they're not proper sticky trackday tyres. The Sport comes in a 120/60 but the Evo ony has a 120/70 so the clearance to the front mudguard is minimal and you might find it rubs on the radiator mesh. Having said that mine never has with the 70 profile.

Alan

burtonbiker
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by burtonbiker » Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Aha! Thanks for the explanation. I have a hole in the rad mesh and a cut down front mudguard from the bike being run on GP209's on its last proper outing, but it was being ridden well- not by me! Both items on the to do list. This is my first set of Bridgestones, can't wait but not going anywhere til I find cyl no 4! :(

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sat May 27, 2017 4:52 am

G'day guys,

I have read through this thread and there is a lot of great information, but I am wondering if anybody can recommend some track biased tyres for the NC35?

I am currently running Rosso II's and while they are a good tyre, they can feel quite vague when the bike is leant over. My NC35 is road registered but 90% of it's usage is on the track. I have had the forks set up and have added a Nitron R3 shock. I am still dialling in the settings to suit my riding style but I worry that the more road-focused tyres are making it difficult.

After 8 track days on a tight track (Broadford, Melbourne) at full lean and sub 1:15 track times the tyres don't seem to be wearing too much. I would prefer to run softer compound tyres that are super sticky than tyres that are designed for higher mileage, even if it means more frequent changes.

Does anybody have experience with the Rosso III's, Michelin Power RS or others that are essentially road-legal track tyres?

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:30 am

Can you get the new dunlop alphas over there?
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 am

The Dunlop Alpha's are available in Australia but I havn't heard a lot about them. After some reading they seem to be what I'm after!

What are peoples track experience with these?

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:43 pm

We can't get them in the UK, but the older ones were excellent apparently.
I think neo on here had some of the newer versions and rated them highly.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT