More Stupid Newbie Question NC24-Chain Adjusting

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
BigDonk
Reactions:
More Stupid Newbie Question NC24-Chain Adjusting

Post by BigDonk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Story So Far, Nc 24

Firstly non starting, checked everything, battery good, but nay spark, finally I got all the plugs out the front right hand to get out was a bar steward, scuffed knuckes from the rad, (but thanks for all the tips from guys n gals on other posts),
3 out of 4 of the plugs where, gubbed, huge gaps of more than 1.1m, electrodes all but non existant, fitted new plugs, fired up first time, charging o.k.

Forks next, both seals shot, fitted new honda seals, fresh oil, brakes checked new fluid, working fine, after being smothered in fork oil and road gunk,

So the nobbish question is ... chain adjusting at the moment its resting on the swinging arm, being a single sided virgin, I assume that the chain must be tightened/adjusted by adjusting the back wheel on some sort of cam set up, please could some give the run down on what to do? and what sort of tension it should have?

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R
Re: More Stupid Newbie Question NC24-Chain Adjusting

Post by thunderace » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:56 pm

There's a pinch bolt on the rear of the swingarm you need to slacken off. Then you need a C spanner to turn the adjuster cam. You should be able to see the cam by looking between the sprocket and the brake disc :peace:

Turn clockwise to tighten the chain btw.
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

BigDonk
Reactions:

Post by BigDonk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Ahhh Cheers Thunder
I do not suppose you could highlight it in a photo or is it that obvious, and I take it
Clockwise is looking at the chain wheel side??

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 pm

The C Spanner is for the NC30.

The NC24 doesnt have one as the adjustment is in the hub, the NC35 / 35 it is external.

There are two pinch bolts on the rear of the 24 swining arm, I think there 12 or 14mm, you cant miss them.

Slacken them off.

Look under the hub at the rear and in the middle youll see a disc with notches in it, turning this forward or backwards moves the hub / chain tightness.

It is easier if you have the rear wheel lifted off the ground as it is easier to turn

You can see the bolts at the rear... inbetween these two and slightly underneath you will see what I mean for adjuster
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

BigDonk
Reactions:

Post by BigDonk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:31 pm

these suckers

Slackening the off the 2 bolts the bolt nearest the disc was dead stiff (even after plenty of penetrating oil) is this normal?
but at least its adjusted now, cheers guys

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Thats the fellas.

And yes if it hasnt been adjusted in a while, the bolts go into aluminium, which with all water / shit that goes there will help it all corrode together.

Dont be tempted to use copper grease etc on there though as if they come loose the chain will tighten itself up as you ride.. I found that out before (not by using grease but not tightening the bolts enough) thankfully my bike has the toolkit in it so it was a frantic chain adjust at 3am in a dark b road. :whistle:

I do use some medium strength threadlock on these bolts now (loctite stuff) this is the stuff that lets you undo the bolts easy but keeps them secure, it will also keep out any water / moisture and crap that will help corrode the bolts in
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Neosophist wrote:The C Spanner is for the NC30.

The NC24 doesnt have one as the adjustment is in the hub, the NC35 / 35 it is external.

Not that I've looked that closely yet, but I've used a C spanner to adjust mine :|
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:16 am

The toolkit doesnt come with one, just a 'pokey stick' to adjust it with.

If you look at an NC30/35 hub you'll see that the adjuster is on the outside and it needs a C spanner as its castellated.

Heres a picture of one that somebody has used a screw-driver on :down: you can see how two or 3 of the adjusters have been chisled off

And here is what the normal NC30 hub not chewed up looks like

and here is the spanner you need to adjust it without destroying it.

Fortuantly the NC24 hub is much easier to adjust and must more durable, just make sure the thing you stick in the hole is the right size :whistle:

BigDonk
Reactions:

Post by BigDonk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 am

the adjusting holes at the back on mine have been mistreated which is about the best description I can think of,
ie been moved with something smaller than the holes, I basically went through my drill box to find a drill whose shank had the best fit and gently tapped it down and it adjusted fairly easily.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by Neosophist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:57 am

Yep! Wrong size stick for the hole probably, or even worse people hitting it with a screwdriver :whistle: