nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cb400f1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: nc31 project

Post by cb400f1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 am

If you can't remove the drill/old threads, have you thought about spark erosion?

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified

Post by bludclot » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Spark erosion eh? An absolute last resort. I'll remove the drill bit at home with the tools that I have, no doubt requiring a lot of patience. There's another pair of wheels in transit to me and I have a plan in mind....

Exhaust, gear lever and rear brake assembly all fitted this afternoon, meaning that the rear of the bike is pretty near finished:

I'm not happy with the Chinese gear lever (what a surprise!) as it's strangely angled down so I'll refurbish the original Honda assembly in the coming days. (read - weeks) Also the fuel tap assembly requires cleaning or changing when the tank comes off next. The rear brake requires fluid and bleeding but not just yet, i'll do all the fluids in one go before attempting to start it.

Time to strip the handle bar area down...

Patch29
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Patch29 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:08 pm

Nice!!!!

Sent from my E5333 using Tapatalk

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:13 am

My ebay bargain box arrived:

I've handed the wheels over to be de-tyred and I'll then prepare them for paint. Would anyone be interested in having them painted in the colour of their choice on an exchange basis?

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:05 am

bludclot wrote:My ebay bargain box arrived:

How badly damaged are those clocks and what's your plans for them?
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:31 pm

The rev counter side is smashed to bits, the lower idiot light surround is bent but looks saveable, the rear covers are both unserviceable. I was planning on having the speedo needle from what's left as the red bike's speedo needle has been glued together after a break and looks naff. I am planning on sending the spares box speedo face to have a couple of mph faces made before fitting one to the red bike clocks for the yellow bike and fitting the other to a new set of clocks (that I already have) for the red bike (if that makes sense).

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:52 pm

bludclot wrote:I am planning on sending the spares box speedo face to have a couple of mph faces made .
This it why I was asking, my friend is about to start rebuilding his damaged Honda clocks using a set of Chinese housings and another set of Honda clocks from eBay, I know he's been looking for a mph face and was looking at CB500 speedo faces which are close but not 100%.

Who are you thinking of using to make them?, a few years ago a forum member used Lockwood international to make some for the CBR/VFR/RVF.

I could ask him would he be interested in one to help spread the cost
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 pm

These guys used to do a replacement mph face that a lot of CB-1 owners used but it doesn't appear to be listed any more. Might be worth getting in touch with them though.

http://tachoscheiben.newtacho.de/cb1-40 ... f4c78c6996

JamesHambleton
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBF125,CB400SF,CB500,Bandit400

Post by JamesHambleton » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 am

bludclot wrote:My ebay bargain box arrived:

I've handed the wheels over to be de-tyred and I'll then prepare them for paint. Would anyone be interested in having them painted in the colour of their choice on an exchange basis?
ahh so it was you who got it! I forgot to bid as I was the other person who was enquiring about them.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:16 am

Thank you for the tachosceiben link, I have contacted those guys and ordered a set of faces, I'll post here as to how they are.

The wheels have been stripped and gently blasted:

New tyres and bearings have arrived, I need to do my paint bit on them when time allows. It's funny going back to wheels, it's like staring again. Mrs and I are umming and arring as to what colour the yellow bike should / will be. I have the long haired general's permission to buy another bike too, so I am on the lookout for a CB1000 or CB1300. Once found the yellow bike will probably make way.....

The top front of the red bike is mostly stripped, I have learned that headlight bowls are no longer available so I will probably send the bowl, light surround and handlebars that I have to be re-chromed. Silly question I know, but how do the bar end weights come out of the bars?